Big Decisions - Covid’s Impact on my Wedding

Bridal Shower ✔️
Pre-wedding shoot ✔️
Vendors ✔️
Count down to the big day began...

Conversations with T revolved around our lives in marriage. We were earnestly looking forward to being called Husband and Wife, but little did we know the universe had other plans.

The news of Covid-19 in other countries was of global recognition and then it slowly crept into Lagos, Nigeria on the 27th February, 2020 which instigated a ban by the Lagos State Government less than a week to our wedding on gatherings and international flights (Well for the greater good).

Okay-dokey. Various thoughts kept coming, “Hmmm Seyi, don’t panic, there’s always a way out, here is our chance to reduce the crowd contrary to our parents opinion. Also, I can get another makeup artist as mine innocently went on a trip”.

After consulting with the church, our parents and the vendors, I proceeded to book another makeup artist and drafted a new guest list for our now ‘strictly by invitation wedding’. Oh boy, more news came up; the Lagos Government placed restrictions on gatherings, the number of the expected persons to be in gatherings started reducing from 50 to 30 then 20...oh my days!

Honestly, it ain’t about the number of the guests, it actually even makes it perfect.

For someone as sensitive as I am, the atmosphere mattered a whole lot, I couldn’t afford to have one laced with fear and anxiety. My idea of a dream and ideal wedding is having people I cared about in attendance and in a free spirited atmosphere filled with love. T was willing to go ahead even if we were just 3.  But, Ah! No oh, we only get married once and my Bible tells me evil shall not come near my dwelling, and that same bible speaks of obedience and wisdom which we need in our present reality. So, we spoke things through, concluded on same page, and decided to postpone the wedding.

Tiktoking on my supposed date
We contacted our guest list. 80% sent in kind messages which felt weird like it was some breakup. My younger sister kept checking up, asking random questions and making statements in hopes of figuring out my mood as I kept acting too normal. T and I just laughed at our situation. Friends and family were surprised at how chilled we were.

We went further to postpone our court wedding. Hold on, don’t be judgemental. Lol ( it’s all just ceremonies, we know what lies in our heart). Apparently, officials of the registry notified us that only one witness is now allowed and there is the possibility of being saddled with an image of face masks and gloves for the rest of our lives. Most importantly, we moved it because we wanted it to be close to the date of our White wedding as it didn’t make sense having to be legally married, and not still do the things husband and wife do... lol. And trust our Yoruba parents to have their ideologies.

I truly can't wait to laugh hard when all this is over. My consolation is the understanding that I am in this world but not of this world, and there is something far more greater than my plans. Now is my opportunity to communicate with God, build my relationship with him and pray that he sends glorious rain to wash off this plague. In this season of confusion and anxiety, being rooted in God’s word is all that matters. All the ideas and plans stood at a standstill to prove that God is in charge and in control.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My E Yellow Card Experience

28 Lessons in 28 Years

Burning Questions : Covid-19 Implications on Lives and Businesses