My E Yellow Card Experience

Apparently, Nigeria seems to be going through the E this and E that phase now. lol. 
Honestly, I don’t mean to sound pessimistic or sarcastic. I believe it is a good development, which shows we are getting more technologically inclined. However, the processes and manpower involved has a way of frustrating you. 

I believe it’s common knowledge that nothing in Nigeria comes easy, especially if it involves processes. Your patience would be tested every step of the way. Although, there are usually easy peasy options from time to time. Craving one? You should condition your mind to partake in the corruption “you think” you are against by patronising louts in corporate clothing. They usually promise to ensure a less strenuous experience. But if you are like me; with your integrity still intact, I can tell you for a fact that : The E yellow card is another system created to frustrate you. I believe my account of the process will ease the stress. 

I recently got the new E passport and National identity slip ( Not card o. I don't want to think of what collection would be like), what I went through eh. Well, that’s a tale for another day. I am here to share my E yellow card experience because I have been asked a lot of questions on how I procured it. So I hope this helps. 

The Yellow card office was quite difficult to locate, thanks to the Lagos airport road blue cabs I was able to find my way. I couldn’t believe I have driven past this cream building and never noticed it. It is situated just after the Murtala Mohammed airport toll gate. I was there 15th of April 2019 at 10am, but they wouldn’t attend to me. The officials informed me that I was late and there would be no new entries for that day. After probing further, i discovered their outsourced Nurses were scheduled to leave about that time. Wow at 10:00 am? Okay o. So I was asked to come the next day at 7:00 am

16th of April 2019 I left my house at 6:00 am and got there 7:30am to uphold the sight of the crowd. I was left in awe! I needed this yellow card and my trip was in two days. At this point I began to settle with the thought of getting it at the boarder, but the number of what if 's in my head wouldn’t let me be. I love to prepare ahead, as much as I can. Besides, the suffer head had already began.lol. 

So let’s get down to the details. The process of obtaining an E yellow card requires that you:
  1. Come along with a copy of your passport data page,
  2. Write down the Remita payment number you got after payment and registration (via their website Click Here ),
  3. Write down your name and note the serial number,
  4. Get Vaccinated,
  5. Receive E Yellow Card.
My serial number was 76. It was a serious hassle getting my name down. People refused to queue. I told the official in charge to organize everyone to queue. But all he could say was “they are all adults I don’t have to tell them what to do”. That one sef tire me. Well when in Rome, do as the Romans do. Which implies that, to get my yellow card, I have to adapt to the convention of the area. So number gotten, and then the long wait. After 3 hours wait, people were getting really impatient, so was I. 

From my observation, they had stopped taking down names and giving numbers and were waiting for the Nurses to arrive. which explains why they didn't attend to me the previous day. Eventually we were called in by our numbers and vaccinated. Only to be told to come back the next day for the yellow card. Really? Why all this trouble? At this point I was wishing I just chilled to do it at the boarder. Where I am certain I will get it on the go. Rather than take multiple trips. 

I went there the following day, only to discover that it wasn’t ready. At this point I couldn’t take it anymore. I informed the officials of the situation, and I was told I paid via the wrong channel; suggesting that I probably used a tout. Lol. Payment and registration I did myself. I didn’t know whether to be angry or not. I tendered my Bank and Remita payment receipt, showing my Remita Retrieval Reference number to be verified. I wasn’t ready to bribe anyone after all I have been through. No way! 

Eventually, it was verified and I was told to be back the next day again! Ha. I had to tell them I was traveling that evening, I was asked which flight and time. I didn’t boot on time so I told them it was a road trip. Ha Sheyi. That’s where I F’ed up. I kept disturbing them o, until a woman amongst them decided to show me mercy. I got it 2 hours later. 

Now you see why there’s a need to be intentionally optimistic, the system has a way of frustrating you with their pretentious good intentions. If you decide to go through my route, ensure you get your Yellow card a week to your travel date, get there on time with a copy of your passport data page and remita receipt to avoid paying a premium for photocopy. 

Don’t forget to go with your snacks, power bank and a box of patience. All the best!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Burning Questions : Covid-19 Implications on Lives and Businesses

28 Lessons in 28 Years